Moss walls and paintings
Lichen, which at first glance looks like moss, thrives in the forest of the northern polar zone. Because of its shape, which resembles deer antlers, it was called Reindeer Moss.
Deer lichen or decorative moss is an indispensable design element that initially found its place as a design element in Scandinavian design. Its usefulness was first recognized by the distant ancestors of these inhabitants in the old age, who treated their health problems with lichen and used it as filling and insulating material in the construction of their dwellings, and to a lesser extent also for decorative purposes.
What exactly is decorative moss?
Decorative moss is the trade name for deer lichen, in English it is found under the name reindeer moss, Swedish renlav, Norwegian kvitkrull. Several species and subspecies from the genus Cladonia are used for decorative purposes , most often Cladonia stellaris and C. rangiferina. In the following, the terms moss and decorative moss are used. The natural color of this moss is slightly greenish white to white, and it grows tightly together in large patches, like a carpet.
Moss or The deer lichen is glued to PVC panels, which are waterproof and fireproof. They are available in square, rectangular and round shapes, any dimensions and in different color shades, which can be perfectly adapted to the interior decoration. If desired, the panels with moss can be framed or without a frame. As each product is unique, please contact us for a consultation at the email address below. We can make the product in any shape, size and color. Below are some standard dimensions.
Our standard dimensions (mm):
- IKO9 walls full of life moss panel 25x25 cm
- IKO9 walls full of life moss panel 50x50 cm
- IKO9 walls full of life moss panel 75x75 cm
- IKO9 walls full of life moss panel 100x100 cm
For orders, inquiries, advice and price list, we are available via email: email@example.com
Most of the moss used for decorative purposes today grows near the Arctic Circle in the northern latitudes of Eurasia and North America.
The moss we use in our company is of the highest quality, it comes from Norway and is hand-picked and prepared in accordance with strict nature conservation and health standards (ISO 14001 (2004), ISO 9001 (2008) . The preparation process achieves the desired stiffness or the flexibility of the moss, the moss is disinfected and cleaned, and dyed as desired.The colors are water-based to keep your health in mind, and there are several different color shades available, covering almost the entire color palette from green, blue, brown, red, orange, black...
Features of Maho:
The use of natural materials in our rooms has a positive effect on our well-being, and decorative moss has some exceptional properties:
- Its growth/texture makes it an excellent soundproofing material.
- Due to its porosity, it is able to regulate the humidity in the room and also acts as a humidity indicator and prevents excessive humidity in the room; when the humidity in the room falls below 35%, the moss becomes hard, because the "dry" environment also draws moisture from it, but when it increases, the moss softens again and gives you an idea of the humidity in the room.
- Moss is a non-combustible material, which was also reported by the SINTEF society (Norwegian Pyrotechnic Society, NS-EN ISO 11925-2 (2010).
- Because of its shape, which imitates miniature trees, it affects us similarly to a forest - it stimulates cognitive abilities.
- Moss is hypoallergenic (reduces the risk of allergic reactions).
- Since it is prepared with it, there is no additional work, it does not need watering, it does not need nutrients, it does not need special care.
- It does not lose its appeal over time.
The only factor that can negatively affect moss is strong, direct and long-term exposure to the sun, which can make it a bit hard to the touch, and later also brittle. This can be easily avoided by shading or moistening the moss. The durability of moss and especially its color is also affected by water. Since the colors used to dye the moss are water-based, longer and greater exposure to water can discolor them. There is no need to water the moss.
Sound insulation properties:
High response time (reverb) is the most common acoustic problem faced by interior designers and architects today. Modern architecture favors rectangular spaces and hard, flat surfaces, which can cause excessive responses and irritating reverberations. They have proven their positive properties several times ( Lund University, faculty of Engineering (LTH), Norway), and we also offer a highly efficient sound absorber that has twice the capacity to absorb unwanted sound effects than the industry average for products of the same size and thickness . Among the advantages are the ideal natural cellular structure of the moss, its internal diffuse growth and the convex shape of the element itself, which allows better absorption from several angles. It can be argued that moss is among the best sound insulators.
What does the graph show?
Figure : The graph shows the amount of absorbed negative sound elements; the dark green curve represents a 0.5 m2 sheet of moss, and the gray an average industrially made sheet of the same area. Source: Nordgröna, Norway.